This project is read-only.

Converter Questions

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:43 AM

We are evaluating StoryQ and other BDD tools.  One concern I have with StoryQ is that it appears that all of the specifications are essentially maintained by developers.  I see the Converter utility, but it looks like an on-demand tool that would typically be run by a developer and then the results would be pasted into a source file.  Am I correct about this?

What would be a typical workflow if a non-developer were writing and maintinaing the specifications?

Thanks

-Mat

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Mat,

You have evaluated StoryQ correctly that tests are maintained by developers. Non-developers wouldn't maintain the specifications other than reading and inspecting.

So, if you have analysts or business maintaining tests then you should be looking at other tools eg Fitnesse, Concordian perhaps even SpecFlow. Good luck.

--tb

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Like Todd says, StoryQ is intended to be maintained by developers - so if your business analysts are really in a position where they want to update your test suite without any intervention from developers, then StoryQ is not ideal.

The reason we designed it this way is actually because we wanted analysts and testers to be pair programming with developers to create these test suites - direct collaboration is the best way for correct, maintainable tests to be written. If an analyst is sitting by themselves writing (or editing) new test cases, then a chunk of knowledge (why these requirements are changing) loses its opportunity to be shared with the developers. I find that non-developers have little trouble reading StoryQ code as they sit next to a developer, and they can move on when it comes time for the developer to start working on the step implementations...

So if you can collaborate, i'd recommend it...