This project is read-only.

Is StoryQ still in active development?

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I've noticed that the latest stable release was in July 2010 and there are other new releases. Is the project still being actively developed or is that going to be it more or less?

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Yes, it is still being actively developed/maintained - but nothing is scheduled. Rob in particular is doing any fixes and extensions. I am keeping these restricted in scope ;-) Is there anything is particular you are wanting or are worried about? MbUnit or xUnit.net? languages? bugs? different reports?

As an aside, I still use StoryQ in my daily work with clients and am not seeing any need for extensions. StoryQ has a particular focus (aka niche) that you want to write stories in C#, use intellisense for refactoring and most importantly stay lightweight/low cost but in essence the stories are development lead and are part of the test layering strategy (eg unit, integration and system). This is not the sweet spot of specflow, concordian or cucumber - but they will all do the job of user stories.

cheers todd

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Actively using StoryQ on daily basis here.

Aside from support for some sort of data driven capability (which I suggested but never followed up on, sorry), there isn't anything else missing or needing major improvement.

Rob is also very resposive around here, if you are just looking for some 'comfort' before adoption.

On 27 April 2011 11:24, toddb <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Yes, it is still being actively developed/maintained - but nothing is scheduled. Rob in particular is doing any fixes and extensions. I am keeping these restricted in scope ;-) Is there anything is particular you are wanting or are worried about? MbUnit or xUnit.net? languages? bugs? different reports?

As an aside, I still use StoryQ in my daily work with clients and am not seeing any need for extensions. StoryQ has a particular focus (aka niche) that you want to write stories in C#, use intellisense for refactoring and most importantly stay lightweight/low cost but in essence the stories are development lead and are part of the test layering strategy (eg unit, integration and system). This is not the sweet spot of specflow, concordian or cucumber - but they will all do the job of user stories.

cheers todd

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (storyq@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email storyq@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Thanks damianh.

This is exactly what I was looking for i.e. as you put it some "comfort" before adoption because from my limited research, the two names that come up are "Specflow" and StoryQ. As the latter seemed to have really glowing reviews, I thought I'd try it out but then saw that the latest stable release date was July 2010 which made me re-think about my "investment". But now I'm sold after seeing Dave Starr's video on teched http://www.msteched.com/2010/NorthAmerica/DPR303. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Hi Toddb,

I don't know how I had missed your answer earlier but anyay thank you for getting back to me. There are no particular features that I would like at the moment. As I have been tasked to investigate Agile methodologies at my current job, I just wanted to make sure that I would have all the facts required and to help me make my decision on which ATDD framework to use.

Following Dave Carr's demo I was sold really but I just needed to ensure that it would still receive support at the very least should there have been any problems.

David

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM

If you are choosing an approach then I would think about the level of business interaction that you want to have. If you have a high level of business involvement - that is, the business want to actually update and run the tests - I suspect that StoryQ isn't for you. StoryQ is for developer focussed but reporting back out to business. It is also for business writing the tests (in plain text) and then the developers taking control (using the StoryQ converter).

One approach I find useful in this case is to use StoryQ for the system tests and keep them light and focussing on workflow. These types of tests using the Given/When/Then rubric but are in no way exhaustive. I use unit and integration tests for coverage (aka exhaustive). I have outlined that approach in other places (eg http://blog.goneopen.com/2010/08/test-automation-pyramid-review/ and there are samples for MVC, WebServices and Sharepoint on the blog).

Good luck making the decision.

--tb

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Hi Toddb,

I believe that StoryQ is for our business. I'm a developer and I'm trying to drive out the user requirements from the client. So effectively, the client will provide the story and from there we'll get the scenario out the StoryQ converter.

Moreover, I'm planning on using unit and specification tests i.e. MSpec for more test coverage as you've pointed out. I'll for sure check out the blog. 

Having said that, I would like to know your opinion on what Specflow has that StoryQ doesn't provide i.e. where do you think Specflow has an/many advantage/s over StoryQ?

David

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:56 AM
I should have mentioned that Toddb is responsive too :)

On 27 April 2011 20:59, davidsiew <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Toddb,

I don't know how I had missed your answer earlier but anyay thank you for getting back to me. There are no particular features that I would like at the moment. As I have been tasked to investigate Agile methodologies at my current job, I just wanted to make sure that I would have all the facts required and to help me make my decision on which ATDD framework to use.

Following Dave Carr's demo I was sold really but I just needed to ensure that it would still receive support at the very least should there have been any problems.

David

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (storyq@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email storyq@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
May 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I go on holiday for two weeks and the future of StoryQ is called into question? ;)

Seriously, the reason I've not yet made a proper release of the latest code is that I got (mentally) stuck halfway on building out the localisation feature of storyQ. We've happily translated the API into Portuguese and Serbian, but I was hoping to find some more translations before I pushed it out as a recommended release. 

The next feature, which I might just jump straight into despite a lack of translations, will be data-driven stories. It's a big one.

May 2, 2011 at 9:45 PM
> will be data-driven stories. It's a big one.

Sounds awesome!

I know I suggested it way back, but really didn't have time to spike something out at all. Am involved in a startup looking to launch our own product so priorities took over, sorry I haven't been more helpful.

On 2 May 2011 20:43, robfe <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I go on holiday for two weeks and the future of StoryQ is called into question? ;)

Seriously, the reason I've not yet made a proper release of the latest code is that I got (mentally) stuck halfway on building out the localisation feature of storyQ. We've happily translated the API into Portuguese and Serbian, but I was hoping to find some more translations before I pushed it out as a recommended release.

The next feature, which I might just jump straight into despite a lack of translations, will be data-driven stories. It's a big one.

May 3, 2011 at 7:33 AM

@rob :). I would never dare question the project into question. Just a little concerned that's all :). On a more serious note, it might be possible for us to do the French, Estonian and Russian translation if you want although at the moment we're kind of submerged under the pile of work.

David

Coordinator
May 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM

If you do get a chance, all it takes to do a translation is to rewrite the following file: http://storyq.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/38a38cbc6d45#src%2fStoryQ%2fFluentInterface%2fStoryQ.txt

Here's the Serbian example: http://storyq.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/3ddb165d8ded#languagePacks%2fsrc%2fsr-SP.txt

If you're interested, you can generate a diagram from this using Dot, a tool from GraphViz.net (the english one looks like http://download.codeplex.com/Project/Download/SourceControlFileDownload.ashx?ProjectName=storyq&changeSetId=38a38cbc6d45&itemId=src%2fStoryQ%2fFluentInterface%2fStoryQ.txt.png)

You can just email the result to me at robert [dot] ensor [at] gmail and i'll regenerate the API and integrate everything properly. 

May 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Got you Rob. As I said, we're completely submerged but once things calm down a bit (God knows when that might happen), we'll do this.